Wednesday 9 February 2011

Moleskine Folio Sketchbook - A3 size

Moleskine A3 size (16 ½” x 12”, 29cm x 42cm) Folio Sketchbook
Yesterday I came across an A3 size Moleskine Folio Sketchbook - and bought it without a second thought.  I've been using Moleskine sketchbooks for the last five years and although I might go out with other makes there's always at least one in my backpack!

I haven't even got the cellophane cover off yet and I'm ecstatic.

My A4 size Moleskine Folio Sketchbook has been my new favourite sketchbook for a while now.  It has all the features of the original "Large" Moleskine Sketchbook - but bigger.  Which means:
  • 96 pages measuring 21 x 29.7cm. This means a double spread in inches is 11.5" tall by 16" wide and is my new favourite format for sketches

  • the paper is the same high quality heavy paper, acid free paper. The 160 g/m2 weight means nothing ever shows through to the other side - which means you can use both sides of a page all the way though the sketchbook!
  • all the paper is FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified
 - which I applaud
  • smooth black hardback cover with rounded corners and an elastic band closure
.  The latter is invaluable for avoiding the edges of your paper getting dog-eared.
  • inside the end cover there is an inner expandable pocket which I use for mementoes of trips and tickets
The big benefit for me  of having an A3 size Moleskine sketchbook is that I will now be able to do the same large sketches - but with no crease down the middle as I no longer need to use a double page spread.  

The Royal Academy - Courtyard of Burlington House - in the rain
11" x 17", pen and ink and coloured pencils in Moleskine Folio Sketchbook A4
copyright Katherine Tyrrell
Now I've got a paper I really like for the media I use and that's big enough for the size of sketch I like to do I might even taken one apart and start selling sketches!

You can see my sketches using a Moleskine on
I bought my new A3 sketchbook in the big Waterstones on Piccadilly.  It was priced at very nearly £30.  However I've seen them for less elsewhere including on Amazon

6 comments:

vivien said...

I like large sketchbooks - i feel cramped working in smaller ones

vivien said...

oh and I bet you still end up working across two pages! it's irrestible!

Zoe, ontheroad said...

Are you still satisfied with the folio?

I ask because I went to the US Amazon and the reviews are rather mixed on paper quality.

Also would you be interested in testing a Stillman and Birn, many sizes and a hefty 150g which I am finding quite pleasurable for wet and dry. I'd love to compare it to the Ebony by Daler Rowney, unavailable anywhere I've looked in the States.

Making A Mark said...

I'm still happy with it - the only problem is that I have to think very carefully about how I'm going to transport it as it is big.

I'm up for testing anything! Howver I've never heard of a Stillan and Birn. Sounds interesting with that weight of paper. Does it do HP? That's the only surface I work with - super smooth.

Zoe, ontheroad said...

Good to know you are still keen on the folio. I'd like just one in a larger size.

Here's a link to their site. They are the new boys on the sketchbook block here in the States--just getting started. They are offering several surfaces, weights and binding options.

http://www.stillmanandbirn.com/

I've tried the Alpha and Gamma thus far and they seem to be well above average. Watercolour paints and pencils are reacting well and measure up to other sketchbooks I've used, and come close to "true" colour when compared to finer watercolour papers.

Unknown said...

Hi im new to moleskine,and only used the smaller sizes but i am definitely going to buy the larger ones...im just a doodler so not so good ...but ill try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...