Saturday 24 September 2011

POLL: Coloured Pencils - colour or brand?

Which is more important - colour or brand - when buying coloured pencils?  This post is about a new opinion poll for coloured pencil artists.
People vary as to whether they prioritise colour or brand when making their purchase of coloured pencils. 
  • My own personal preference is to go for the best colour from a reliable good quality brand. Hence I vary as to which brands I favour for different colours - and use most brands in the process!
  • For some they go for the colour irrespective of quality issues
  • Other people are dedicated to using one brand - or maybe two. Possibly because that's all the local art store stocks and they haven't yet got used to ordering online.
Here are some possible options identified in a new Opinion Poll I'm running on Coloured Pencils - Resources for Artists.  Click this link to access the poll  POLL: Coloured Pencils - do you go for Colour or Brand?
  • I'm always looking for the right colour
  • Colour is the priority - but only from brands which are good quality and reliable
  • Most of my pencils are from one or two brands
  • I prefer to stick to one brand
Below is a sample of the coloured pencils I was using yesterday while I was Sketching the Herb Garden at Sissinghurst. Guess which answer I'll be ticking!

A sample of Coloured Pencil Brands on a sketching outing
They include: Caran d'Ache Pablo, Caran d'Ache Luminance, Derwent Artists, Derwent Coloursoft,
Derwent Signature, Faber Castell Polychromos, Lyra Rembrandt Polycolour, Karisma 

2 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

I've voted for colour but I look for certain colours within the 3 or 4 brands I like and I'd hesitate to buy a colour I'm looking for if it was in a brand range that I've previously tried and am not happy with. So the colour AND brand, I guess!

vivien said...

I agree with your method of choosing - I've got quite a few brands with a predominance of Polychromos and Lyra but colour (with quality) is the essential.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...